Wednesday, January 11, 2017

When Everyone Else has a Special Talent or Gift

April 8 2015

I come from a family of really talented people…I mean, SUPER talented.  The kind of God-given talent that makes people say, “WOW! That’s so cool.”  And careers and livelihoods have been built on that talent.  And while I have watched in awe and pride at their gifts, I’ve often been asked by others, “Can you? Do you too?”  And, I have to say, “NOPE.” 

And it wouldn’t be truthful to say that it didn’t bother me at all.  When it seems like everyone has a special talent or gift, it can be lonely until you find the gift that is for you. 

For far too long I was stuck waiting for God to reveal the mysterious special gift he had for me.  I knew that Ephesians 2:10 proclaimed that I was His workmanship, created in Jesus specifically for these good works that God had prepared in advance for me to walk in.   But I wasn’t sure what those gifts were or when they were coming and so, I did nothing.  I felt like whatever gift I was going to get was going to be HUGE and I wanted to be ready…so I just waited and waited and while I was waiting, I noticed that person’s gift, and that person’s gift, and it seemed like everyone had some special gift except for me.

And I’ve been to churches where they encourage you to pray and ask God for specific gifts and/or reveal what His gift to me was because clearly I didn’t have this gift yet or I’d be using it, right?  Clearly, it was still on its way…and so, I continued to wait.

And I got discouraged.  I felt kinda useless and kind of jealous of all the other people who were using their special gifts.  And then finally, one Sunday morning in a women’s bible study, we were discussing “Doing God’s Will” and being willing and available for the work that He has for us…and this woman raised her hand and asked the teacher, “Well, How do you really know what God wants you to do?” And my heart skipped a beat because that was exactly what I wanted to know too!  I was thankful that she’d asked because I didn’t want to ask such a dumb question! Especially since I was under the impression that everyone (except me) already knew the answer to this…

The teacher gave an answer that resonated so well with my soul…she said, “God has already told you what He wants you to do. In His Word, he’s given us very specific instructions to Love and Serve, Be Light,  refrain from ungodly behavior … And if we can just focus on what we know He’s already told us, we will be better positioned to hear what else He wants to tell us: Go, Do….”

And so, instead of sulking and waiting on some specially wrapped gift from above, God opened my eyes to see the gifts that were right in front of me.  Colossians 2:9 “For in Him (Jesus) dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him who is the head of all principality and power.”  I am complete in Him.  Not tomorrow. Not whenever I receive some special gift, but now.  So, I changed my focus from worrying about the gifts that others had and stopped trying to compare and just started working on how well I was doing what I know to do, and lo and behold opportunities came that allowed me to serve and in serving it became clear that God had made me especially for serving in these particular ways and I realized I wasn’t waiting anymore…


Are you still waiting to know what God has called you to do?  Stop waiting and just start serving.  I’m willing to bet there are gifts in you waiting to be used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment