Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Our first Guests!

My mom had been planning a surprise visit for the girl's birthdays and boy were they surprised! She and Val, a family friend flew into Jerez on Thursday, September 23rd at 1pm. The timing was perfect because I pick Rayna up from her preschool at 12:15 and it takes about 30 minutes to get to Jerez from Rota, so I picked up Rayna and off we went.

As I suspected, Rayna went to sleep in the car on the way to the airport, so I didn't have to explain why I was taking a different way home, as she is quick to point out if I stray from my usual route.

When I woke her up after I parked at the airport, it was sprinkling a little, so she was more concerned with "getting wet" than with where we were or why! I was running a little bit late, so I hurried to the arrivals section (the airport is VERY small, so I knew I wouldn't miss them) and as I was walking down the corridor, there they were, walking toward me without even noticing...busy chatting amongst themselves, I'm sure about what I later learned was Val's luggage being searched...

My mom saw me, but we didn't say anything, waiting for Rayna to notice...she finally did and then ran to her, "GRANNY!!!"




After a long hug, we think she went into shock! Because she was awfully quiet for a while after that, trying to process what Granny was doing in Spain, no doubt! But she had a very big grin on her face the whole (silent) ride home!



We got home and had some snacks (Spanish olives, bruschetta, piel de sampo melon, grapes and parmesean coated salami) perfect to tide over the famished travelers until we could grab a bite to eat and while we waited until it was time to get Reese from the bus stop...

Reese gets out of school at 3:30 and her bus usually arrives at 3:50, so we walked to the bus stop to surprise an unsuspecting little girl! Here are my mom and Rayna posing at the bus stop!


We spotted Reese in the window seat before she saw us, but when she DID see us, her eyes about popped out of her head and we saw her yell "Granny"! She was so excited, she got stuck in the seatbelt on the bus trying to get off in a hurry!



Yay! Granny's here! And back to the house we go to let the weary travelers get some rest!


Posing in the gate to our house... "Welcome to Spain, Mom and Val!"


And so much for thoughts of sleep...R&R had a lot of catching up to do! "Granny look, I can jump rope now!" "Granny, look, I can....." all night long!

1 comment:

  1. yay! i luv surprises...the pictures r great. i knw they were so excited...and so were u liss..

    ReplyDelete