Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Chemo #12 - Old Stomping Grounds and Bald

August 24, 2012

The day after I got to my parents home in San Dimas, where we'd be staying during my treatment, I noticed that if I tugged, even the slightest bit, at my hair, that it would come right out....which meant, it was TIME. 

I told my dad to grab the clippers...it was time to shave my hair.

My dad pulled out his clippers AND the vinyl The Wiz soundtrack and we rocked out to "Ease on Down the Road" and "Home" while all my hair (which I'd cut short the previous summer anyway) went on the floor and then into the trash. 

It wasn't as traumatizing as I thought it would be - going bald.  In fact, it was nice to not have to wrap up my hair that night when I went to bed.  I had bought a bunch of head wraps and a few hats from the Gypsy market before I left Spain.  My mom had also bought me some wigs to play around with so I was all set.  A friend and fellow survivor from Spain, Heather, also sent me a care package with a bunch of soft caps and my oldest and dearest girlfriend Kerry sent me a carepackage with not only a cool hat, but a BUNCH of feel good, taste good, pick me uppers ranging from beautiful cards with encouraging scripture, candy, nail polish, pretty jewelry, cozy slippers and more.  

Getting cancer was a huge bummer.  But, having amazing friends who step up and encourage and love and pamper and care really allowed me the ability to keep it movin', bald and all.  

Here are the girls and I at Disneyland on the tea cups.  Rockin' my scarf! 



No comments:

Post a Comment